Wednesday, December 20, 2006

St Antony's College, Hotel Management

FASHION DESIGNING AND HOME SCIENCE... is what I see out the window, having been initited into a 3rd floor room of the net cafe (which I was never aware even existed... the floor, not the cafe). I am staring at 4 guys who are staring down from the 4th floor of aforementioned St Antony's College, which appears to be nothing terribly special perhaps to better prepare it's students for the drudgery of hotel management and home science (although I read today that fashion design is one of the industrys where people are most likely to become cocaine addicts in India - wonder if the boys and girls of Kanjirapally are ready for the big time in that way?)

The keys of this computer are very sticky adn I'm getting a workout stabbing each key... slam slam slam! Hell, I'm very sticky as it's either been really hot lately or I've totally lost my patience with the weather. Yesterday the "current" (as electricity is fondly called, like how our Canadian brethren call it Hydro) went out about 13 minutes into a nap for both Saby and I and we both lay muttering and sweating below the unmoving fan, willing it to come back on. Didn't... so I abandoned ship to come down here.

I'm here as my lov'in spoonful hubby and Chackochen Uncle have gone to the home for retired priests to visit Father Mathew, Daddy's brother. After swearing I knew where the net cafe was, and that they sort of knew me there, and that I was comfortable there and wouldn't wander away or anything, I was dropped off here for an hour or so of punchy typing for most wonderful, theraputic and mostly (I think) UNREAD blog.

(Thanks Liz, Radha, Tabby... your comments and kudos are very sweet and encouraging and nice and funny!!)


Aiiii-YO! (as everyone here says in astonishment, surprise, desperation, or any other sort of emotional feeling) I just heard the theme from Titanic (Heard Must Go On) which is the song that Chackochen Uncle's car plays when it's backing up. Everything here sings - the fridge if you leave the door open sings Jingle Bells, the water purifier plays the Mexican Hat Dance when it's finished, and you can always tell when Chackochen UNcle is in the neighborhood because he carries a little of Celine Dion with him wherever he goes :) Anyway, that means I have to go... Saby is recharging our cell phone.

If anybody wants to call us at home, please do... tomorrow we'll be out whole day visiting his G'ma in another town about 3 hours away, adn next 2 days we'll be off to Cochin to visit Vinod (HAaaaaaaaLoo) Tharakaran and family and do a little touristy stuff. We're going by TRAIN, as our Bangalore journey was cancelled due to no return tickets and I will not leave the sub continent without having traveled in a train.

Gotta run, here's the number: 91 04 828 222 711
You dial 011 from the US btw :)

Take care peoples, all is well and check this final discovery out: we get Monday night football at 7am on Tuesday Morning Live!!!

Lina

4 comments:

lizzybeth said...

I would call, but I don't know what the time difference is, and I am pretty sure Sprint would charge me my first born to make that call. I am glad you are doing well over here. Keep blogging! They are read! Matt and I both find them very entertaining!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lina! I'm not leaving comments, well, except for this one, but I've been keeping up on your travels! It sounds like you're having a great time. Keep the stories coming...helps me pass the days at work.

NicNacKlein said...

Hey, Hairpie! Can't read your blog at work since it's blocked, but hope you're doing well and taking some good pix. Enjoy the New Year!

Unni said...

I dont know if you are a malayali.
Maybe you are bcos u listen to malayalam songs again on ur ipod..

I see you take a lot of pot-shots at current and some sign boards. To people who may speak queens english it may look stupid but its more than eough to convey the meaning.

Sorry to be bitter. theres something called "Akkarapacha"..the syndrome when you think grass is always greener on the other side.

Cut your cynicism and you have a nice blog

Unni